Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Fat Tuesday 2010

With the start of the new year comes the familiar faces: New Year's Resolutions, the Superbowl and the one festival dedictaed to indulgence: Mardi Gras.

Now anyone who's celebrated this festival will admit to you the greatest of all the party days is in fact Fat Tuesday. Is it because it gives us an excuse to party early in the work week? perhaps... Is it because of the start of Lent the next day? maybe... Or is it a way to indulge in those cajun "good times"; the chance to jam out to some Zydeko while stuffing your face full of boudain and crawfish while enjoying your favorite distilled beverage? Hell to the yes.

This tuesday will be no different, except for the fact that I have this feeling of impending doom. I'm giving up a lot of things for Lent, and I know its going to be a rocky road...mmm....rocky road...

Last year I gave up cigarettes and was able to successfully kick the physical and mental urge to have one. Unfortunely around the time of my vacation I started back up as a casual smoker and have basically relapsed. Its your standard tale of quitting cold turkey.

So now, this Fat Tuesday, I'm torn between a feeling of knowing that the things I used to help stop smoking I will be giving up this year in addition to the smoking and the feeling of knowing I did it before and can do it again.

I think this year, I will have to rely on a far greater power and not just subsituting a smoke for a beer. I'm not sure if its a power in myself, a power in the almighty or if the almighty gives me power in myself. What I do know is that I can't do it in my current mindset. Things need to change.

I'm confident in myself to make these changes and I'm looking forward to my progress. But for now let me end it here and end it with a passage from the season:

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

No comments:

Post a Comment